Black lives matter.
At Encamp, we stand in solidarity with our Black teammates, customers, and partners in the fight against systemic racism and injustice. We are committed to using our unique position as a startup to provide opportunity, equity, and trust to members of the Black community, helping to build a country where everyone can live with dignity and free from fear and harassment.
But those are just words.
The team at Encamp has been taking time to reflect on the racism we see in the world around us and the best way we can support our community. We believe that while words are important, actions speak louder than words— and this is a moment that demands action.
Because of this, we're making some visible commitments to continue turning our best intentions into action.
As of July 1st, 2020, we commit to removing hiring bias by taking the following actions:
- Ensure each set of interviews has representation from various minority groups, from both internal or external candidates
- Recruit actively from diverse backgrounds involving ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability, and veteran status
- Educate our hiring managers with training on noticing and combating hiring bias
- Include minority employees in the hiring committees
We commit to having minority representation over our community averages by taking the following actions:
- Sponsor and attend hiring career fairs for Black and other minority groups at least 2 times a year
- Partner with 2 or more local groups that support minority groups in the workplace by the end of 2020
- Set hiring goals on a quarterly basis to ensure we have representation from various minority groups across the company, through both internal promotions and external hires
We commit to developing minority talent across the EHS industry by taking the following actions:
- Work together with all employees in our organization to ensure they receive a mentor for career development by the end of October 2020
- Start a Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) in EHS and Women in EHS group by the end of 2020, expanding to other potential groups in 2021 and beyond
Finally, we commit to fighting the racial wage and equity gap by taking the following actions:
- Commit to providing opportunities for more equity to Black and minority employees over time.
- Evaluate wage and equity gaps between all employees on a bi-annual basis to ensure we do not have any gaps for the same role.
At Encamp, we will not allow the brunt of educating the company on issues of inequality to fall on existing minority and BIPOC staff. We all are committed to creating an environment deserving of the trust and respect of people from all backgrounds.
We are taking these actionable steps because words are not enough. We are making these commitments publicly because accountability and visible support are critical towards achieving real progress. Additionally, we will be using these actions to guide our OKRs to ensure we are meeting our efforts in a timely manner, and they remain visible to our entire company and board.
Black lives matter.
Now let's get to work.